Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Three O'Clock - Her Head's Revolving

On an overview of the Salvation Army/Three O'Clock's recording career, there's a fairly straight trajectory from their psychedelic-punk-pop origins to the feeble new wave slush of their final album. 1985's Arrive Without Travelling was their fourth release out of six and soundwise, it's more or less in the middle as well: although the punk element is pretty much totally gone, there's still plenty of psychedelic pop here, but it's much keyboard-heavier and more slickly produced than its predecessors. Some of the lyrics also continue the band's unfortunate journey towards the mawkishly sentimental. I liked this album a lot at the time - hey, I was 15 - but I can't say I was really surprised when it turned out to be the last Three O'Clock album I liked.

This was Arrive's first single and one of its few tracks to retain elements of their... I don't want to say "harder" early sound (it would be vaguely ridiculous to describe anything they ever did as "hard") so let's just say that it rocks a bit more than most of the rest of the album. I seem to recall from somewhere that the video was banned from Canadian MTV for its alleged drug references.

No comments: