Monday, March 28, 2011

Adorable - Sistine Chapel Ceiling

Coventry's Adorable made two key mistakes in their short career. No1 was calling themselves "Adorable". That might have worked on Sarah, but for a band swimming in darker, heavier waters it did pose a rather significant barrier to them being taken seriously. No2 was releasing a first single called "Sunshine Smile". See No1.

All of which contributed to the sad overlooking of their fine debut album, Against Perfection. Although often lumped in with the shoegaze scene (well, it was on Creation), it actually reminded me a bit more of bands like the Chameleons and Kitchens of Distinction - a similar sort of atmospheric sound without putting the effects on overkill.

There are a few really fantastic tracks on the album, but for me this one was their masterpiece. It's got one of my favourite couplets that anyone's ever written. And I really wish I'd had a chance to see them live; I just know I would've done a Síle Seoige when they played this (Irish readers should get the reference!).

No comments: