Saturday, January 28, 2012

Kate Bush - Hounds of Love

The thing I really like about this song is that it manages to be a supreme accomplishment without much obvious effort, like I'm not sure Kate and her band even fully grasped themselves what an amazing piece of work they were creating. Contrast with "Wuthering Heights" which, though I love that too, does have the air of "trying very hard" about it.

I remember when this album was released - God, I'm old - and this wasn't what I would have considered one of its highlights, based on either my own opinion or the songs that seemed to get noticed from it. "Running Up That Hill", "The Big Sky", "Cloudbusting" - those were everywhere, but this one barely registered at the time. Isn't it funny how often those turn out to be your favourites?

No comments: