Saturday, June 6, 2009

Depeche Mode - Never Let Me Down Again

I know a lot of people think of Depeche Mode as merely the synthy 1980s equivalent of, I dunno, Boyzone or something, but they're wrong. Leaving aside the fluff of the Vince Clarke era, Depeche were actually quite a subversive band in a lot of respects, from the distinctly radical-left artwork that adorned some of their early record sleeves to lyrics like I don't want to start any blasphemous rumours, but I think that God has a sick sense of humour and when I die I expect to find him laughing. Come on, do you really think Boyzone would get away with that?

Of course, as with all bands that stick around as long as they have, the rot did set in eventually. Pretty much everything from the '90s on has left me cold. But the last time I saw them live (about a decade ago), they still rocked the house down.

I think this is one of their all-time great singles, and one that has best stood the test of time.

No comments: