Friday, June 5, 2009

Spacemen 3 - May the Circle Be Unbroken

I was never much of a Spacemen fan, although I like a lot of shoegazey stuff. They were just too droney and unmelodic for my tastes. Maybe if I was a better guitarist (i.e. more of a muso) and could appreciate their ability to get noises out of their instruments that their instruments were never intended to produce, which is usually the argument my musician friends give me as to why they like this kind of thing. Unfortunately I will probably never know.

So, I don't care much for the A-side of the single this appeared on, "Revolution", nor for the first B-side, a cover of Suicide's "Che" - Suicide being, of course, the Spacemen's most obvious predecessor, with a similar lack of any discernible songs behind the noise.

More interesting is the EP's final track, a dreamy version of an old hymn from the turn of the century. It's a lot closer to what Jason Pierce went on to do with the infinitely superior Spiritualized, I think.

No comments: