Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Marine Girls - Lazy Ways

My holidays are over, I'm back at work, the weather is crap and I have a cold. So what better to cheer me up than some Marine Girls?

They're best known now as Tracey Thorn's pre-Everything But The Girl band, which is a shame not only because they were so wonderful in their own right but because it means the contributions of her bandmates get overlooked. The truth is that Jane Fox was equally as responsible as Tracey for making them one of the best-loved indiepop bands ever, and Gina Hartman and Alice Fox's roles shouldn't be overlooked either. Tracey of course was technically the best singer, but if it's technical ability you're looking for this really isn't your band anyway. If I were to pick out my favourite Marine Girls songs there'd be a fairly even split between Jane's and Tracey's.

This is one of the best Jane ones, the title track to their second and final album.

No comments: