Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Bluebells - All I Ever Said

Oh. My. God. Have I really been doing this blog for close to two years now and not yet posted any Bluebells? What an embarrassing oversight.

The Bluebells put out about a million singles in the early '80s, which were (mostly) all delightful in a Commotions, Aztec Camera sort of way. I'd actually say they were a better pop band than either of those two - the tunes were a little simpler and catchier and they lacked Lloyd and Roddy's literary lyrical pretensions. Ironically their biggest hit, "Young at Heart", is one of the few songs of theirs I really can't stand so don't be looking for it here :)

This was the b-side to their second single "Cath" and while it doesn't have that song's immediacy, over the decades I've come to think of it as one of their finest moments.

No comments: