Friday, April 22, 2011

Denim - Back in Denim

Many many years ago, when Primal Scream were touring for Screamadelica, I managed to use the connections I had at the time to finagle an aftershow pass. While the other young hipsters hovered around Bobby Gillespie, I cornered ex-Felt man Martin Duffy instead, demanding to know Lawrence Hayward's whereabouts. The conversation went something like this:

"He's got a new band now. They're called Denim."
"What are they like?"
"Well, they've got a song called 'I Love the Seventies'. It's about loving the seventies."
"Mm-hmm."
"And they've got a song called 'I Hate the Eighties'. It's about hating the eighties."
"I see. Thank you for your time."

Back in Denim was released not too long after that, showing to my great surprise that Martin wasn't just pulling my leg.

Given the variety of different styles that Felt tried on, maybe it shouldn't have been so hard to believe that Lawrence would go down this road next, but I think it's probably fair to say that this album was a bit controversial among Felt fans. It's pretty much a novelty record, celebrating all things from the tackiest decade ever (the Osmonds, FFS?) - but the songs are really quite infectious if you can get over your natural suspicion of the whole idea.

I had this one stuck in my head for weeks when it first came out.

No comments: