Thursday, May 19, 2011

Colourbox - The Moon is Blue

Colourbox's sample-heavy electronic dance music was an odd fit for 4ad in the mid '80s, and their lone, self-titled album wasn't one of my favourites of the era - but then sample-heavy electronic dance music rarely is. Which of course is not their fault. People who are generally into this sort of thing seemed to think it was a masterpiece and I'm sure they're better placed to judge than I am. Aren't I being very diplomatic today?

I bought it on the strength of this track, a modern torch song sort of along the lines of the Style Council's exquisite "The Paris Match" (though Lorita Grahame's formidable voice can't match the aesthetic qualities of Tracey Thorn's). Alas, nothing else on the album sounds remotely like it.

From 1985.

No comments: