Thursday, July 2, 2009

Trash Can Sinatras - January's Little Joke

More Scottish pop! No, I can never get enough. The Trashcans had two main things going for them: criminally catchy tunes, and often astonishing lyrics (so often astonishing that we can forgive them the occasional monstrosity like the chorus of "Funny Kind of Girl"). Frank Reader has a real gift for rhymes and wordplay, and there's a verse in this song that's a perfect example:

I knew what argue meant
And I knew what punish meant
And I knew what embarrass meant
I never found out what achieve meant.


Actually, this is a fairly dark song, much darker than the almost-perfect pop that makes up much of the rest of the album. But I just think it's such a masterful effort - they got everything right on this one, from the lyrics to the strings to the slightly muffled vocals to the absolutely flawless production. One of the songs of the year, IMHO, if not the decade.

See you on Sunday.

No comments: