Sunday, January 10, 2010

Moose - Little Bird (Are You Happy In Your Cage?)

I've posted before about how Moose tend to be lumped in with the shoegaze scene but I don't think they really were shoegaze. I've since learned that they were, in fact, the original shoegaze band: that is, it was in a review of a Moose gig that the adjective "shoegaze" was first applied. So I guess by default they have to get that label. Doesn't mean I have to like it, though.

I mean listen to this song. It's a fantastic track, catchy as all hell and with clever, deliciously evil lyrics and Russell Yates's always-appealing vocals. Shoegaze, however, it is not. It actually reminds me more of something like Kitchens of Distinction's "Drive That Fast" (I must put that up some time). Should have been a bigger hit but I guess that's what happens when everyone just dismisses you as belonging to a genre you don't really belong to at all.

No comments: