Friday, January 29, 2010

The Twilight Sad - That Summer, at Home I Had Become the Invisible Boy

The Twilight Sad are definitely one of my favourite bands of the past few years, making songs so gorgeous they almost hurt to listen to sometimes. There are hints here of a number of other Scottish bands, such as Mogwai and Arab Strap but with much more prominent vocals; I also hear a bit of the Tindersticks in the arrangements and the general mood of the music, or sometimes Disco Inferno.

A typical Twilight Sad review will contain at least three of the following adjectives: multi-layered, atmospheric, loud, intense, fragile, intricate...you could probably think of a few more along those lines without even having heard them. But they don't do justice to the sheer beauty of the music. That's probably why they remind me of Disco Inferno. I haven't put up any Disco Inferno here yet, have I? Shame on me.

Anyway, this is from their 2007 debut, Fourteen Autumns & Fifteen Winters.

No comments: