Wednesday, January 6, 2010

New Order - Procession

Speaking of 80s tracks with amazing bass lines, here's one of my absolute favourite New Order songs, from the 1981-82 EP. While "Temptation" was the big hit off this release, "Procession" is much closer to the style I wish they'd stuck to (and, to be fair, they mostly did for the next couple of years). The electronics were present but not overwhelming; the production was still fairly minimalist and the quietly-mixed vocals added something in terms of atmosphere while distracting attention away from Bernard's always-dodgy lyrics (to be fair again, they're not too bad here). Even today, what they were doing on this record is so exciting.

I suppose there's an element of nostalgia on my part - this dates from right around the time I was beginning to discover a musical world beyond the charts - but even if that weren't the case, I still think I would get a shiver listening to it every time.

God, what a beautiful track.

No comments: