Saturday, February 13, 2010

The Dream Syndicate - That's What You Always Say

I think this is the only one of the major Paisley Underground bands I haven't put up here yet. The Dream Syndicate were fairly distinctive from the other bands in that scene, having almost none of the jangle-pop influences of the Three O'Clock or Bangles and favouring a much harder psychedelia than the Rain Parade.

The main difficulty I have with their early recordings is that Steve Wynn wasn't much of a singer (and I also think the same is true of Kendra Smith, although I know I'm in a minority in that view). That didn't stop them having a lot of really, really good songs on their full-length debut The Days of Wine and Roses, but it did make the difference between "good" and "great" on some of them. After that album, unfortunately, the tendency towards hardness won them over completely and they sank straight into plonkerville.

This is the standout track from Days.


No comments: