Friday, April 24, 2009

Ash - Petrol

So I've been doing this blog for over a week now and have yet to post any Irish bands. Shameful. Ireland has produced a considerable amount of great indie (and non-indie alt) music, some of which you've heard and much of which you probably haven't. A few bands in the latter category that I would particularly single out are Hey Paulette, Mexican Pets and the Plague Monkeys; at some point I'll put some of their stuff up.

And the Irish music scene today isn't half bad either, despite the disgraceful lack of support it gets from most of the Irish media (Phantom 105 and Hot Press excepted). I'll throw out a few names here, too: New Amusement, the Funeral Suits, Seeping into Cinemas, the Rags, Ham Sandwich, Panda Kopanda. I could go on, but suffice it to say that I get really frustrated when I hear people my age or even younger complain that the music these days isn't as good as it used to be. It's different, ok, in some respects, but a lot of it is still really, really good. We're just old.

Again, I will try to post some newer stuff up eventually but for now here's a classic Irish tune from the early 1990s.

No comments: