Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Orchids - Pelican Blonde

In a way, it's almost a shame that the Orchids were on Sarah. It meant that they were inextricably lumped in with the "twee" genre, which never really did them justice to begin with and was particularly inapplicable to their later recordings. Now personally, I love twee, but a lot of the genre is sort of one-dimensional and that's a criticism you simply couldn't lay against this band.

I've sometimes heard the Field Mice described as the best Sarah band for similar reasons. I wouldn't agree, mainly because I don't think they did twee particularly well; it was only when they broke out of that mould and brought harder guitars and/or electronics into their sound that I found them at all interesting (their softer ballady-type stuff tending too much towards the maudlin for my tastes). Some of the Orchids' finest moments, on the other hand, were their twee-est but their dancier tunes were also pretty fantastic. It's not just the genre-blending, but their ability to do it all so well, that made them stand out for me.

Love the effects in this one.

No comments: