Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Echo and the Bunnymen - Bring on the Dancing Horses

To my mind, this was the last great Bunnymen single. I don't know if it was the problems with Pete de Freitas or what but everything they did afterwards sounded as if they were just going through the motions. I suppose that happens to most bands who last for as long as they did, but at the time it really distressed me because I was such a big fan of theirs. And of course, like thousands of other teenage girls, I thought Ian was just the bee's knees. Well, he was.

This particular song has always struck me as magnificently understated, with a nonchalance that at first may let it go by almost unnoticed, but it's actually really nicely orchestrated if you listen to it carefully. New Order's "Lonesome Tonight" is another song from the same era that I'd describe in similar terms, and it's also one of my favourites.

Unfortunately I can't post the (adorable!) video thanks to their greedy record company but here's a reasonably good, fairly recent live version.

No comments: