Thursday, March 25, 2010

Bleach - Dipping

Here's a forgotten gem from the early 1990s. Bleach were from Ipswich and, as I recall, fancied themselves an indie-rock band in the mode of early Nirvana (whose debut album they named themselves after), and were somewhat alarmed to find themselves lumped in with the shoegazer crowd. But then the same was true about Catherine Wheel and if they weren't shoegaze - at least to start with - then I'm Camilla Parker Bowles.

Bleach also have the dubious distinction of having the single worst song ever on a record I otherwise like a lot. It's on their second EP, Eclipse; it's called "Wipe It Away" and it's truly, epically, horrifically bad. Just take my word for it. Though having said that, the one time I saw them live, the fella I'd been chatting to in the crowd got all excited when they started to play it and said "I love this song!" No accounting for taste I suppose.

This is from their 1991 debut EP Snag. No idea why the lopsided sound.

No comments: