Monday, March 15, 2010

The Chameleons - Up the Down Escalator

Jesus, I can't believe I haven't put up any Chameleons yet! Their debut album, Script of the Bridge, still stands up as one of the classics of its era, and of a genre which is often lumped in with post-punk but could more precisely (if clumsily) be described as early-to-mid 1980s guitar-driven pop-rock.

The Chameleons did the "guitar" aspect of this better than most, their calling card being the huge and amazingly haunting wall of sound behind Mark Burgess's, erm, distinctive vocals. It's interesting to note that the album's producer, Colin Richardson, generally works with thrash metal bands - I'm not sure what his CV was at the time he was selected for this release, but whoever chose him (and for whatever reason) definitely made the right call. It's just an incredible record from start to finish, and still knocks me out everytime I listen to it.

Back in the days when I still harboured hopes of learning to play guitar well enough to be in a band of my own (it would have helped if I'd been arsed to practice once in a while), I always wanted to cover this song.


No comments: