Monday, May 11, 2009

Boo Radleys - Take the Time Around

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I don't really care much for Giant Steps. It's just too much of Martin Carr and co. faffing about in the studio, too little emphasis on songwriting. And to my ears it lacks the delicate soundscaping which made Everything's Alright Forever such a pleasure to listen to over and over. Instead, it feels like you're supposed to be impressed by how many neat tricks they can pull off with the technical equipment, and I just don't find that very interesting.

The lyrics throughout the album also sound suspiciously as if they were pilfered from the self-help section of Martin's library - never a good sign.

Still, it is an indie classic whether I agree with that designation or not, so here's one of the less arsey tracks off it.

No comments: