Sunday, May 17, 2009

Haircut 100 - Fantastic Day

A recent thread called What song converted you? over on the alternative/indie forum of boards.ie got me thinking about this one. I don't know that any particular song "converted" me, although maybe I've just forgotten after all these years! What I remember is that when I was in my tweens, and already an obsessive musichead, a number of New Wave bands began breaking the stranglehold that MOR, AOR and rawk held on the airwaves and that I immediately took to this intriguing genre.

Haircut 100 were, of course, one of the breakthrough bands of that era and if I was able to put together a list of records that "converted" me their debut would definitely be on it. I know it sounds terribly lightweight and fluffy today - actually, it probably did then, too, but what did I know? I was 12 - but you have to admit it's catchy as hell. And just look at Nick Heyward's adorable cheeky grin. Is it any wonder I loved this band. I think not.

No comments: