Monday, May 4, 2009

Primal Scream - Shine Like Stars

I have to admit I think this album is overrated. In fact, I think Primal Scream themselves have always been overrated (with the exception of the wonderful "Velocity Girl", which is every bit the indiepop classic it's alleged to be). When Screamadelica came out and got a 10 in NME I remember thinking that if they'd put out an album of reading names from the phone book it would have got a 10 from the NME. That was just the relationship between them and NME at the time; it had nothing to do with the actual album.

All these years on and I haven't changed my mind. It's got some nice moments, sure, and shows them to be reasonably adept at a number of different styles, but there just aren't many Truly Great Songs on it. Obviously it's a classic as a snapshot of its era, but that doesn't make me want to listen to it any more than any other album of that year (and in fact there were a lot of albums that year I'd rather listen to than this one).

So why am I posting this? Because, having said all that, I absolutely love this song and wish they'd done more along these lines. More's the pity that they went precisely the opposite direction, but of course, I'm not exactly the fan they wanted to appeal to anyway.


No comments: