Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Small Factory - Hopefully

Small Factory were, in the early 1990s, the Happiest Band in the World (TM). With their breezy pop melodies and gorgeous male/female harmonies (the latter provided by improbably-named drummer Phoebe Summersquash, who everyone and I mean everyone fell in love with), they charmed the US indiepop scene like no band of that era that I can recall. When they finally called it a day around 1995, their goodbye gig was filled with fans who had travelled from far and wide for the occasion. I know because I was one of them.

You'll have to take my word for it how great they were, unfortunately, because their recordings were never a patch on their live show.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only ever caught them as the Godrays, but still plenty of fun. I still listen to both bands quite a bit.

cinnamon girl said...

I never saw them as the Godrays, unfortunately!